This page provides links to articles specifically on medieval gardening, as well more general articles on medieval life. There are also links to many excerpts from medieval writing about gardens and the farming life generally.
The Medieval Garden:
- The Medieval Pleasure Garden LINK TO BE ADDED – for some views of medieval pleasure gardens visit this page and click on the left hand side of the key map. Scroll down to the lower portion of the image and you will find gardens laid out in medieval London.
- The Medieval Kitchen Garden LINK TO BE ADDED (an article by L. Robyn O’Hara)
- The Goodman of Paris’ instructions to his wife, c. 1392 LINK TO BE ADDED
- A fifteenth-century list of herbs for the garden. LINK TO BE ADDED
- An article on medieval herbals LINK TO BE ADDED (lists of herbs and their medicinal properties for use in the treatment of disease and injury).
- The monastic garden. LINK TO BE ADDED
- See also the Maze Garden LINK TO BE ADDED
The Medieval Farm
- Fitzherbert’s Book of Husbandry c. 1534 LINK TO BE ADDED
- Pierce the Ploughman’s Crede (fourteenth century) LINK TO BE ADDED
- Medieval attitudes to the landscape LINK TO BE ADDED
- Medieval attitudes to animals LINK TO BE ADDED
- How to calculate medieval time LINK TO BE ADDED
- One Englishman’s attitude to the Europeans LINK TO BE ADDED