(This is a very sweet sauce, but I love it this way)
- 2 kilo of ripe tomatoes
- 500 gm apples (golden delicious or other sweet apples)
- 500 gm onions
- 4 tablespoons of whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons whole allspice
- 1 and one half tablespoons of whole black peppercorns
- 500 gm sugar
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- One quarter a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 and one quarter cups of malt vinegar
Coarsely chop the unpeeled tomatoes and apples, and peel and chop the onions. Tie the cloves, allspice and peppercorns in muslin. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook, uncovered, for one hour.
Blend the lot. It means a slightly thicker sauce with the occasional bit of skin in it, but it comes out all gorgeous and chunky.
Bottle into hot sterlised bottles or jar and then hot water process for 20 minutes. This will last years on the shelf but refrigerate once open.