This was the first preserve I ever made and it was so good! It remains a favourite to this day.
- 900g/2lb Raw Beetroot, Grated
- 450g/1lb Onions, chopped
- 675g/1 ½ lb Cooking Apples, peeled cored and sliced
- 450g/1lb Seedless Raisins
- 1L/40fl.oz. Malt Vinegar
- 900g/2lb Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp Ground Ginger
1. Place all the ingredients in a large pan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 1-2 hours or until thick and pulpy.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the jars
3. Spoon the mixture into warm sterlized jars, then process in hot water for 20 minutes if at sea level.
Store for 2 or 3 months before using.